We all love listening to and supporting Irish music...but how much do you really know about it?
Our beautiful Emerald Isle is famous all over the globe for its traditional, folk music as well as for producing massive, international best-selling pop and rock bands. For a small country, we pack quite the musical punch! Now you can put your knowledge to the test with our Irish Music Quiz. We’ll be grilling you on old ballads, modern pop, Irish music festivals, local Galway music and much more. So give it a go!
1. Which song was voted “Ireland’s Favourite Folk Song” by RTÉ in 2019?
Rocky Road to Dublin
The Galway Shawl
The Hot Asphalt
2. Which Irish band released the song “Where’s Me Jumper?” in 1991?
Sultans of Ping FC
The Sultans of Swing
Dancing at the Disco
3. Which song was made famous when John Peele played it twice in a row on live radio in 1978?
With Or Without You
The Boys Are Back in Town
4. Who wrote “The Town That I Loved So Well” about their home town?
5. Which artist released albums entitled “No Frontiers”, “Collected” and “Without the Fanfare” in the 1980s?
The Saw Doctors
6. Irish singer-songwriter, Enya, was born in what county?
7. Which song was The Saw Doctors first Irish No. 1 Single?
I Useta Lover
8. Which band recently became the first Irish band to have a song reach 1 Billion views on YouTube?
9. Only 2 Irish bands have ever won a Grammy Award, U2 and which other band?
10. Villagers is tied with what other artist for the most Choice Music Prize nominations?
11. Who is the only artist to win the Choice Music Prize twice?
12. In what year was the Choice Music Prize established?
13. What band released the album “Dogrel” in 2019?
The Murder Capital
14. Faye O’Rourke fronts which current Irish band, featuring former members of Little Green Cars?
15. Who were the first Irish band to be signed to the Creation23 record label?
16. Junior Brother, Daithí and Paddy Hanna are all signed to which Irish record label?
17. Before Wyvern Lingo released their debut album, which Irish artist did they collaborate with, performing backing vocals?
18. Niall Breslin found fame as the lead-singer of which band?
19. “Atmosfolk” duo Morgan MacIntyre and Gemma Doherty are better known as what?
20. What is the name of the music showcase that takes place in The Black Gate every Wednesday?
The Black Gate Sessions
Wine & Jazz
Cheese Boards & Choons
21. Name the Galway artist whose song “Really Gone” featured, legendary songwriter, John Martyn?
22. Which international artist played a “Gentlemen of the Road” stopover in Galway?
Mumford & Sons
23. 3Arena was originally known as the O2 when it opened in 2008. But what was the name of the theatre that stood on the site from 1988 to 2007?
The Point Theatre
24. What year was the very first Electric Picnic festival?
25. In what Irish town would you find the annual Sea Sessions festival?
26. The original Féile Music festival, which ran from 1990-1997 was also known as what?
The Trip to Tipp
On The Lash
The Rocky Road
27. Which venue won the most recent IMRO Live Music Venue of the Year?
Róisín Dubh, Galway
28. Which Irish band has been the most successful of all time, on global music charts?
29. Who headlined Slane 2019?
Guns ‘n’ Roses
30. Amhrán na bhFiann, the national anthem of Ireland, translates to what?
The Soldier’s Song
The Green & White
God Bless Ireland
Share the quiz to show your results !
Subscribe to see your results
The Irish Music Quiz #1
I got %%score%% of %%total%% right
Enjoy the best of Galway
This is Galway's newsletter gives you the inside scoop on everything happening in the city.
This is Galway is built by the poeple of Galway for the love of Galway A simple, honest and aesthetic shop window for our beautiful city.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!
This website uses the following additional cookies:
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!
What Are Cookies
Like many websites, the Herschel Sites use “cookies” to maintain a record of your visit. A cookie is a small text file that is transferred by a web server and stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device. It can only be read by the server that sent it to you. This information does not identify you personally. Cookies help us improve the Herschel Sites and optimize your experience.
Some cookies are necessary for core website functionalities and to help with navigation. For example, they are used to remember your password so you can log into your account securely, and when you are logged into your account, cookies remember this while you are browsing so you don’t have to log in each time you visit a new page. Required cookies are also used when you complete an order (to remember what is in your shopping cart between pages) or sign up for an account (when you input information on separate pages). These cookies are also important to verify your access to secure payment pages. Required cookies are typically removed or cleared when you log out; however, in some cases they may be stored to remember your site preferences.
We use some cookies to improve the functionality of the Herschel Sites and customize how our website runs according to your preferences. In order to achieve this, we set cookies to make sure you have an optimal experience on the site.
For example, cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered for email subscriptions from Herschel Supply, to remember your preferences, such as your region, currency and favorite products, and to decide whether to show you Content that is only be available to certain users. Functional cookies also make sure that when you submit data through a form, such as on our contact pages, we will be able to remember your details for future correspondence.
We use analytics cookies to collect information on how visitors to the Herschel Sites interact with our Content and services. This helps us understand what services and products are popular and if there are areas of the Herschel Sites that could be improved. This information is gathered by pixel tags or web beacons, and is aggregated at a high level so that it cannot be used to identify any individual person.
We use a third-party program called Google Analytics to gather this data. Google Analytics is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions available. Cookies set by Google Analytics may track things like how long you spend on the Herschel Sites, which pages you visit, and whether you make a purchase. This information is typically held by Google on servers in the United States.
For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page: https://www.google.com/analytics. You can opt out of Google Analytics cookies by downloading their browser plug-in tool from http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
One of the providers we use for this service is Google AdSense, which uses a cookie activated by a ‘double-click’ on an advertisement to improve the advertisements you see and limit the number of times a specific advertisement is displayed.
Advertising offsets the cost of running the Herschel Sites to allow us to continue developing the Content and provide products at the best price possible. They also make sure that Herschel Supply advertisements on other websites are tailored to your interests.
We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on the This is Galway Site to allow you to connect with your social network in various ways, including the sharing of our pages or social media accounts. When you use the Facebook plugin, Facebook will set cookies which may be used to enhance your profile on their site, or contribute to the data they collect and store in line with their own privacy policies.
If you want to disable cookies, some countries have created consumer choice tools to help you do so, including aboutads.info/choices (US) and www.youronlinechoices.eu (EU). Please note that blocking cookies will not eliminate advertising, it will just make the advertising less tailored to your interests.
You can also prevent the setting of cookies and delete cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser. The steps for doing this differ from browser to browser, so consult your browser menu and Help tools. You can also visit www.allaboutcookies.org for more information.