2020 was one of the most unforgettable years in modern history… but how much do you actually remember from the last twelve months?! Our Big Quiz of the Year will test your knowledge on TV, Film, Sports, News and some of the biggest things that happened in Galway in this most unprecedented of times!
Give it a go and challenge your mates...
1. Which actor, best-known for his leading role in Black Panther, sadly passed away this year?
Robert Downey Jr
Michael B Jordan
Daniel Day Lewis
2. What was the highest grossing film of 2020?
Sonic The Hedgehog
Birds of Prey
The Eight Hundred
3. It seems like a lifetime ago, but the 2020 Oscars took place back in February of this year! Do you remember who won Best Actress?
4. The upcoming James Bond film has now been delayed twice due to the global pandemic, but what is its title?
No Time to Die
Die Before I Wake
The Spy and The Queen
Never Say Never
5. For the first time in history, which country surpassed USA and took in the largest box-office sales this year?
6. “Normal People” gripped the nation during the first lockdown, but who starred in the female lead role?
7. Which reality TV competition took place in very different circumstances this year, with the contestants and crew living in a self-contained bubble for 6 weeks before Peter Sawkins was crowned the winner?
I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here
Strictly Come Dancing
The X Factor
Great British Bake Off
8. This year, Pixar released a short-film featuring their first ever gay main character. What was the title of this film?
9. In May, a re-imagined Eurovision show was broadcast all around Europe. What was it called?
Europe Shine A Light
For The Frontline Workers
A Night in Europe
10. Throughout the summer of 2020, Other Voices presented a series of live performances filmed in some of Ireland’s most iconic locations. What was the name of this show?
Songs From a Place
11. Which English footballer campaigned for the extension of free school meals in the UK to ensure no child went hungry during 2020?
12. The legendary boxer Mike Tyson came out of retirement at the age of 54 to face whom?
Roy Jones Jr
13. Amid much controversy, the Ladies Football All-Ireland Semi-final between Cork and Galway was moved to Croke Park at the last-minute. What was the original venue?
14. Originally from Latvia, Sanita Puspure won Gold for which country at the European Rowing Championships in Poland in October?
15. Kobe Bryant died tragically at the start of 2020. The legendary basketballer played in 20 NBA Seasons, but how many times was he chosen as an All Star?
16. Which team won the 54th NFL SuperBowl?
Kansas City Chiefs
San Francisco 49ers
New England Patriots
Green Bay Packers
17. Which English footballer scored the first goal of Project Restart, the Premier League’s plan for the return of live action after the season was halted in March?
18. Ireland opened their 6 Nations campaign with a closely fought win against which team?
19. Who was awarded BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2020?
20. Which manager guided Limerick to their 9th All-Ireland Hurling Final in December 2020?
21. Who was named Galway's ‘15th Tribe’ for 2020?
The Hardiman Hotel
The Kings Head
22. Which Galway artist released their debut album 'Hemet' in August 2020?
23. Who designed the original takeaway cup and more recently, the first enamel mug for Coffeewerk + Press?
24. During GIAF Autumn edition, where would you have found the Mirror Pavilion?
25. Name the new gallery which launched in Liosban Industrial Estate this year...
Art in Mind
The Galway City Gallery
Art For The Soul
26. Which popular Galway bar turned 3 this December?
The Cellar Bar
McGinns Hop House
27. What is the name of the new Christmas song about Galway sung by Michelle Lally?
Old Galway Town
Dear Auld Galway
Christmas in the West
Dreaming of Home
28. What was the name of the end of Summer festival hosted by Galway Summer Garden?
Cruinniú na mbád
The Big Think
29. Which Galway business expanded their company into Mayo and Limerick during this challenging year?
Gourmet Tart CO
30. This year, Macnas released three short films telling the story of...
31. In what month was the first case of Covid-19 reported in Europe?
32. On what date did Ireland enter its first “lockdown”?
33. Joe Biden famously won the US Election this year. Name his running mate..
34. The Late Late Toy Show Appeal 2020 raised a record-breaking amount for children’s charities. How much was donated?
35. The social media app, Tik Tok, became a huge part of our lives during the boredom of lockdowns in 2020. How many active users are on the app?
36. @420Doggface208 shot to fame on the app when he recorded himself skateboarding to the sound of Fleetwood Mac. What was he drinking in the video?
37. During 2020, huge swarms of what kind of insect invaded large parts of Africa and Asia?
38. Joe Exotic was the focus of which 2020 Netflix Original?
House of Cards
Master of None
39. Which artist stole the show at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards by becoming the youngest solo artist to win album of the year?
40. We were all glued to the US Elections, but can you remember the final number of electoral votes that the winner Joe Biden received?
Share the quiz to show your results !
Subscribe to see your results
The Big Quiz of the Year: 2020
I got %%score%% of %%total%% right
Enjoy the best of Galway
This is Galway's newsletter gives you the inside scoop on everything happening in the city.
This is Galway is built by the poeple of Galway for the love of Galway A simple, honest and aesthetic shop window for our beautiful city.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!
This website uses the following additional cookies:
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!
What Are Cookies
Like many websites, the Herschel Sites use “cookies” to maintain a record of your visit. A cookie is a small text file that is transferred by a web server and stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device. It can only be read by the server that sent it to you. This information does not identify you personally. Cookies help us improve the Herschel Sites and optimize your experience.
Some cookies are necessary for core website functionalities and to help with navigation. For example, they are used to remember your password so you can log into your account securely, and when you are logged into your account, cookies remember this while you are browsing so you don’t have to log in each time you visit a new page. Required cookies are also used when you complete an order (to remember what is in your shopping cart between pages) or sign up for an account (when you input information on separate pages). These cookies are also important to verify your access to secure payment pages. Required cookies are typically removed or cleared when you log out; however, in some cases they may be stored to remember your site preferences.
We use some cookies to improve the functionality of the Herschel Sites and customize how our website runs according to your preferences. In order to achieve this, we set cookies to make sure you have an optimal experience on the site.
For example, cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered for email subscriptions from Herschel Supply, to remember your preferences, such as your region, currency and favorite products, and to decide whether to show you Content that is only be available to certain users. Functional cookies also make sure that when you submit data through a form, such as on our contact pages, we will be able to remember your details for future correspondence.
We use analytics cookies to collect information on how visitors to the Herschel Sites interact with our Content and services. This helps us understand what services and products are popular and if there are areas of the Herschel Sites that could be improved. This information is gathered by pixel tags or web beacons, and is aggregated at a high level so that it cannot be used to identify any individual person.
We use a third-party program called Google Analytics to gather this data. Google Analytics is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions available. Cookies set by Google Analytics may track things like how long you spend on the Herschel Sites, which pages you visit, and whether you make a purchase. This information is typically held by Google on servers in the United States.
For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page: https://www.google.com/analytics. You can opt out of Google Analytics cookies by downloading their browser plug-in tool from http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
One of the providers we use for this service is Google AdSense, which uses a cookie activated by a ‘double-click’ on an advertisement to improve the advertisements you see and limit the number of times a specific advertisement is displayed.
Advertising offsets the cost of running the Herschel Sites to allow us to continue developing the Content and provide products at the best price possible. They also make sure that Herschel Supply advertisements on other websites are tailored to your interests.
We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on the This is Galway Site to allow you to connect with your social network in various ways, including the sharing of our pages or social media accounts. When you use the Facebook plugin, Facebook will set cookies which may be used to enhance your profile on their site, or contribute to the data they collect and store in line with their own privacy policies.
If you want to disable cookies, some countries have created consumer choice tools to help you do so, including aboutads.info/choices (US) and www.youronlinechoices.eu (EU). Please note that blocking cookies will not eliminate advertising, it will just make the advertising less tailored to your interests.
You can also prevent the setting of cookies and delete cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser. The steps for doing this differ from browser to browser, so consult your browser menu and Help tools. You can also visit www.allaboutcookies.org for more information.